Tax free refund
Tax Free Refunds
Travelers resident or domiciled outside the European Union may obtain direct relief or subsequent refund of the VAT charged on goods purchased domestically. This benefit may be granted provided that:
- The value of the goods purchased, per invoice, exceeds 154.94 euro;
- the goods are intended for personal or family use and are carried in personal luggage;
- the invoice bears a description of the goods, the personal data of the traveller, passport details or other equivalent document proving that the traveller is resident or domiciled outside the EU;
- the exit of the goods from the EU territory takes place within the third month following the date of issue of the invoice and bears the Customs stamp;
- the customs-stamped invoice is returned to the Italian seller within four months after the month of purchase.
At national exit points, the OTELLO service has been active since 1 September 2018, a procedure that digitalises the visa to be affixed to tax-free invoices, issued electronically. It should be noted that at the time of purchase the traveller must make sure that the copy of the invoice received from the shopkeeper bears the request code attesting to its submission to OTELLO. For more information on the procedure, please consult the section dedicated to OTELLO on the Agency's website. (https://www.adm.gov.it/portale/progetti-aida-otello).
Please note that the so-called 'Tax Free' companies are entitled to reimburse VAT to the travellers as they leave the customs territory of the European Union. This service involves the payment of a fee that these companies deduct directly from the amount of VAT reimbursed to the foreign traveller.
In any case, VAT refunds are never made by customs offices.
For goods to be carried in hand luggage, we suggest you go to the Customs Office located on the 1st floor after the security checkpoint and request authorisation for reimbursement. The customs office may ask you to present the purchased goods. Once these steps have been completed, go to the authorised VAT refund point.
The following operators are present at Naples Airport:
- Global Blu - Alisud ticket office located in the check-in area;
- Tax Free Service - Alisud ticket office located in the check-in area, and Forexchange, located at the arrivals and in the departure lounge;
- Premiere - Alisud ticket office located in the check-in area, and Forexchange, located at the arrivals and in the departure lounge;
- Tax Refund - Forexchange located at the arrivals and in the departure lounge
For further information, please click on the links below:
For goods to be carried in checked-in baggage, we suggest that you go to the check-in desk to have your baggage labelled and then go to the Customs Office located at check-in counter no. 10 for reimbursement authorisation. Your baggage will be checked-in from the baggage belt located next to the Customs Office. Once you have completed these operations, go to the authorised VAT refund point.
Please note that travellers flying on a single ticket from a Schengen country and checked through to a non-EU destination can get the customs visa needed for VAT relief or refund at the customs office located at the airport of origin.
However, the service is also available for goods that are not carried in the luggage travelling with the passenger and are sent to their domicile abroad as “unaccompanied baggage”, provided that they do not leave the customs territory of the Community.
In this case, the airline is responsible for shipping the goods to destination and to issue the so-called air waybill. For VAT relief or refund purposes, the customs office at destination will affix the relevant digital visa, provided that:
- the goods described on the air waybill match the goods described on the seller’s invoice:
- the sender’s name matches the addressee’s name;
- the air waybill bears the details of the same identification document (passport or any other valid document) that is contained in the invoice issued by the Italian seller.
For further information please go to: https://www.adm.gov.it/portale/il-viaggiatore